Somewhat Useful Technical Information Links:
Software Install/Upgrade/Update Links:
Common for Client Stations (Windows OS centric):
- Advanced IP Scanner
- NirSoft, home to a HUUUGE slew of great tools. Note: Some browsers and anti-malware started blocking downloads from this site during 2021-03.
Recommended installation per browser/per profile, excepting for the Brave browser (redundant),for better privacy and stability of browsers.
Adobe Acrobat Reader.
After installation, run and follow link or otherwise take staps to make the default reader.
- Open Shell, replaces Win8/10 Desktop menu with Win7 style menu (more visually stable).
Recommend "Final" version.
- Recommended Browsers:
Firefox is currently the OCS recommended browser. The recommendation is based on privacy, security and feature set. First run/load after a computer restart or login may be slower than some browsers but performance seems about equal or better thereafter.
- Optional Browsers:
OCS is currently testing Brave. It is promoted as being faster, lest battery burning and more private than Firefox.
- Page speeds seem similar to Chrome and Firefox.
- Initial load for Firefox is sometimes slower than Chrome and Brave.
- Firefox: Click on address field drops down frequent sites. Not so for Chrome or Brave.
- Browsers NOT currently recommended by OCS:
- IE or Edge:
Both have historically been slower and more impacted by Microsoft desires vs.user preferences.
However, Some financial institutions and insurance company web sites are unstable or unusable if not used with one of these browsers.
- Safari on anything other than possibly iOS or MacOS. Specifically, as of this writing, the Windows version has not been updated for years, presenting a security vector.
When selecting the download options uncheck all checkboxes.
Old IP Diagnostic Tools:
- NetLab: Loaded GUI Internet test suite for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2K/XP. NetLab.zip
- Sam Spade: GUI Internet test suite for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2K. Spade114.exe
v2.07 2021-09-01 0145